3D cockpits

what i meant was

bump = normal, when it comes to lighting.

they are used to do the same thing inside the engine
difference being, that bump are converted into normal internally for lighting purposes.
so if you can read in normal maps, you just skip the internal step that has to be done.
but both accomplish the same thing.

except

bump maps can be used for displacement mapping, wheras normal maps aren't.

i think the shitty bump maps you are thinking of are the multitexture type, where the bump map isn't really bump, but just a light/dark texture overlayed onto the diffuse maps to just give the final result some light/dark regions.
early 'bump mapped' games abused the term bump mapping. it's just a multitexture.

-scheherazade

actually, only 2 channels are used in a normal map, the 3rd can be used to contain the original bump map.

i can easilly write a matlab script that will take an RGB image, with channel X being a bump map, and have it generate the normal maps for Y and Z (x,y,z being any combination you wish to use).

also, a good example of bs and real bump maps is 'slave zero'. it had both modes in it. they called the 'real' one 'environmental'. was only available on parhelia if i remember right. cause it was the only card that directly had the ability at the time.

-scheherazade

John Cordell said:
Nice work so far, anyway i prefer Johnny's Cockpit i've attached. You can improve yours by making the surfaces more metal like, the whole cockpit darker and a lot more durst around for example on the interface devices they should look old (dirty buttons...) and not clean and new rarely used, remember the tarsus is already a very old ship.

AMAZING!!! I can't believe it!!

Apparently we have very skilled renderer folks here, but yet no one has made USEFUL hi-res cockpits for this Remake? I consider this as Very Strange.

well, BradMick has made some very good models.

there have been some in the past, but were weak, and didn't really look nicer than the classic images.

they're also not a priority for most the people working on the remake.

since it's volunteer work, you find that people almost entirely wander off to do bits and pieces that they are interested in.

no one has 'assigned' "do the cockpits" to anyone, so they're not done. that's all there is to it :)

-scheherazade

not true. ive pretty well been assigned the 'do the cockpits job' since i have some...well, highly kick ass reference material at my disposal. i just don't have the time right now, and since apparently the high res cockpit renders i did do aren't....totally satisfactory, a might bit annoyed. *shrugs* oh well

Brad Mick

well we just are thinking about the next generation where people will run at 1600x1200--heck all of our screenshots are at that rez

bradmick <

what? i liked the renders mang'

tho you are a special case, since loaf was willing to give you the reference material to do a proper recreation.

i think the reason why the renders didn't fly was cause the bases are low rez, and it feels more appropriate to keep the low rez theme around all the 2d stuff, unless it can all be replaced.

in any case, you got the best art around for hte cockpits, and since you're willing (it seems), it's your job. it's official :) hehe

-scheherazade

hellcatv said:
well we just are thinking about the next generation where people will run at 1600x1200--heck all of our screenshots are at that rez
That's because I'm the only one taking them, and I run at 1600x1200. This is about the only thing I run at that res, too; it's simply not a very demanding engine until there are multiple asteroid fields.

I will be flying a lot this weekend. You will get that Cap ship all guns blazing shot.

Back