2 Kilrah Raids?

Sarty

Rear Admiral
I've been reading through the WC books again and I noticed that in the WCIV book Sosa mentions she first heard of Blair "after the Raid on Kilrah when he and his pilots destroyed the sipyards there". That sounds an awful lot like the Tarawa's raid, but Blair wasnt with the Tarawa. Now was he included as part of the operation because he was on the Concordia at the time(2667) or was there another Raid on Kilrah he took part in because I know he wasnt on the Tarawa in End Run.

wing commander 3. his temblor bomb attack on kilrah, which had hte fortunate effects of blowing up the kilrathi fleet hangin out in orbit prepping for the final assault on earth.

brad mick

Well i figured she didnt mean the obvious one, cause if she did she would have mentioned the whole "destroying the planet" thing, not just the shipyards.

nope. its really that simple mate. bondarevsky's 'first to kilrah' deal at Vukar....and then blair's temblor raid.

Although not mentioned in End Run, Blair was on the Tarawa's raid in the Kilrah system. Unfortunately, the source of that bit of info escapes me at the moment.

*turns on the LOAFsignal*

Batman has really let himself go.

That's pretty much the extent of the reference. There's also a fairly vauge reference in the Heart of the Tiger novel that could be taken as implying that Blair was involved with the mission: "Yeah... maybe. We certainly showed 'em the way, back when the Tarawa made the raid on Kilrah a couple of years ago."

The novels like to 'small universe' the Tarawa. The Price of Freedom also attaches Panther and Wilford to the ship: "The admiral [Wilford] and I served together on the Tarawa, before it went to the Landreich."

(This could mean they served there during Operation Backlash, it could mean they served there during Operation Red Three... or it could mean they served there after the Battle of Earth and before the ship was crippled and sold to Kruger. I prefer to discount the latter posibility, because TPoF was written before False Colors -- so the idea that Tarawa later became FRLS Independence didn't exist when that reference was created.)

False Colors adds another convenient connection: Dawx Jhorrad was badly wounded when the Tarawa attacked Kilrah's moon.

Edit: for further debate -- what is the Secret Ops fiction referring to when it references the "Second Battle of Kilrah"? Is the first one Strike Force Valkrie's raid and the second one the T-Bomb run? Or is the first one the T-Bomb run and the second the battle to destroy the Nephilim gate? Or does the initial Nephilim attack on the system/engagement with the TCS Brack count as something?

I would go with Strike Force Valkrie's raid as 1 and the battle to destroy the gate as 2.

The Brack incident seems to small to be called a battle (compared to the two above anyway) and one could argue the Temblor bomb run wasn't really a battle. If you look at its quasi ww2 parallel, no one speaks of a "battle of Hiroshima."

I've (obviously) no idea what they were thinking of when they wrote it though.

On the other hand, no one considers the Doolittle Raid (End Run's historical analogue) to be the 'Battle of Tokyo'.

(... and then the attack on Kilrah did involve a pretty massive fleet action to distract the Kilrathi fleet -- Battle Groups Hermes and Invincible were a sizable force.)

oh boy. i hope you're young.

the Doolittle raid was a psychological victory in the ww2 pacific war. Colonel Doolittle launched with 16 bombers off the USS hornet, it was the first time US bombers could hit mainland Japan.

This forced their arm into making a series of blunders (midway) and losing the pacfic war.

Fruitcake said:
Ouch. That was one bad movie. Definitely worse then the WC Movie.

This post is as far from earning a pretty silver dollar as any I've ever seen.

Edit: this thread is not about how much y'all love Ben Affleck. Pearl Harbor posts deleted.

Bandit LOAF said:
On the other hand, no one considers the Doolittle Raid (End Run's historical analogue) to be the 'Battle of Tokyo'.
(... and then the attack on Kilrah did involve a pretty massive fleet action to distract the Kilrathi fleet -- Battle Groups Hermes and Invincible were a sizable force.)
Both very good points..

In the Doolittle raid, the carrier itself didn't get involved unlike what I know of what happened with the Tarawa. Then again, the Enola Gay was all alone unlike how it sounds things happened during the Temblor bomb run.. So yeah, as before I don't know :D

Bandit LOAF said:
Edit: for further debate -- what is the Secret Ops fiction referring to when it references the "Second Battle of Kilrah"? Is the first one Strike Force Valkrie's raid and the second one the T-Bomb run? Or is the first one the T-Bomb run and the second the battle to destroy the Nephilim gate? Or does the initial Nephilim attack on the system/engagement with the TCS Brack count as something?
I don't see how the Second Battle of Kilrah could be the T-Bomb run...the mention I saw was from a lecture given by a Captain Hott at the Academy. The lecture was about flying the Panther, and when he made mention of the battle, he said it would be a simulator exercise in which the cadets could gain experience in the Panther.
I'm told you will all put in thirty hours on the simulators re-flying the 'Second Battle of Kilrah'. I suggest that you use that time to explore the limits of the ship

That leads me to think that the Second Battle of Kilrah refers to the wormhole battle at the end of Prophecy, since it's highly doubtful that a simulator run designed to give pilots experience in a Panther against the bugs would have them simming an attack originally made by an Excalibur to blow Kilrah, or fighting the Kilrathi in the first place. This of course assumes Small Universe Syndrome isn't coming into play and that there wasn't another battle in the Kilrah system (perhaps involving the Eisen carrier group?) that we didn't fly in ourselves.

Of course, the attack on the gate was flown with Vampires and Devestators rather than Panthers... so the same logic could apply to it. (The nature of the 'sim seen in WCP is that you choose your fighter independantly of the scenario, though.)

But even if the gate battle was flown with other craft, the situation applies to the panther... Dogfight. The T-bomb run has nothing to do with the usual role the Panther was created for.

And I only refered to the pearl harbor movie because there was a big chance that the guy had seen it... :(

But even if the gate battle was flown with other craft, the situation applies to the panther... Dogfight. The T-bomb run has nothing to do with the usual role the Panther was created for.

Eh, swapping a Panther and an Excalibur seems just as likely as swapping a Panther and a Vampire.

And I only refered to the pearl harbor movie because there was a big chance that the guy had seen it...

Yeah, it's not your fault. There's some kind of horrible choke reaction to pop culture that causes ordinarily smart message board people to act like idiots when they hear a movie referenced.

Bandit LOAF said:
Of course, the attack on the gate was flown with Vampires and Devestators rather than Panthers... so the same logic could apply to it. (The nature of the 'sim seen in WCP is that you choose your fighter independantly of the scenario, though.)

I don't seem to remember any devastators in the wormhole gate attack. I thought it was only vampires. The only memory I have of a devastator in that mision is in the final cutscene when a shot of a devastator is shown while Casey requests landing clearance, even though you flew a vampire. Does this mean, you were initially meant to fly a devastator and the developers couldn't be bothered to change that scene afterwards?

I know the answer to this one. The CGI had to be rendered well in advance of the games completion - when they designed the final scene, they weren't sure what ship would be used in the last mission. Sean Murphy decided to have the shot focus on the Devestator because he designed the ship.

Back