1 Thing WC: Movie got right at least?

Originally posted by Royal_Marine:
Well it seems impossible to say a bad word about the movie here as you'll get pictures of trolls hurled at you.

Not true. It’s fine if you don’t like the movie in whole or in part. In fact (and if this shocks you, you simply haven’t been reading through many of the other threads) most if not all of us on this site can respectively point to “something” about the story line in the given game or novel, and the movie too, that we don’t much like. For example, in my own case, I don’t like that Banbridge gets killed in Fleet Action. (Not how I would have written that story.)

Now I suppose that “disgruntlement” on my part is not too different from preferring to believe that Banbridge was killed only in some “parallel” universe. But in the end, my opinion is just my opinion. I really shouldn’t repeat it ad nauseam and effectively transform it (certainly not on a site I do not own anyway) into a “Banbridge Lives” campaign.

I think trying to itegrate the movie into the games just makes it all seem very bad 'cos it doesn't match up.

You’re only repeating what’s gone before to no good end. And I think you may be confused. You seem to be saying one of two things, or both–(1) that you just can’t stand that certain parts of the WC story line as officially written seem to conflict (and maybe you don’t like those parts besides), and so you don’t want anyone trying to harmonize those “conflicts”, and/or (2) you just don’t believe those “inconsistencies” can be effectively explained anyway.

As to the first point, you need to understand that it’s entirely possible for someone to come onto this site who thinks the WC story is horrible, nonsensical fiction, yet takes great joy in the challenge of trying to iron out the alleged inconsistencies. (It’s a form of puzzle-solving. You don’t have to “like” the subject of a crossword puzzle, for example, to enjoy doing the puzzle.) I think it’s safe to say that none here who pursue issues of canon have such a negative view of WC, but even those “things” we each respectively don’t like about its story line (such as Banbridge’s death in my case) we gladly accept as “written in stone”.

In other words, we’re not at all interested in “editing” Origin, and when somebody comes along to suggest we should be because there are “unacceptable inconsistencies” in the games, novels, or movie, that (apart from coming across as trashing our enjoyment of “puzzle-solving”) only eggs us on to try to prove there really aren’t any inconsistencies after all.

As to the second point, merely saying it doesn’t make it so. LOAF and others have shown time and again that many claimed inconsistencies (including the specific ones you cite) can be explained. (And again, this is what many of us revel in trying to do.) Your choosing to ignore those explanations is no way to carry on and advance your viewpoint. (The “search” function is again active on the board–and improved. It can be a valuable research tool.)

(Hey, I’m a Captain. Always wanted to be a “captain” of something. Ambition achieved.:))

Well I don't read the posts on this forum really at all, mainly because I can't seem to find a way of making the threads display with newest post last :p Only read the ones I've decided to post in, so i don't know what discussions ppl have had over the years.

I just said what I thought about the movie, I dont have the time or the desire to want to solve mysterys of why things dont coincide. I simply gave my opinion, I wouldve done the same anywhere.

Originally posted by Royal_Marine
Well I don't read the posts on this forum really at all, mainly because I can't seem to find a way of making the threads display with newest post last
Humans are very adaptable animals, if you gave it a try, I think you'd manage to learn how to use the forum.

The Concordia in the movie is a Concordia-Class Supercruiser, which was presumably destroyed sometime before 2661, which is when we surmise the Concordia of WC2, a Confederation-Class dreadnought, went into service.

and that would be a different class to the concordia class in wc4?

so theres a concordia class supercruiser and a concordia class carrier with about 30 years between?

as for the film, i felt that the entire pilgrim thing did make it more star wars wannabe, the original film idea would have worked better ie with the traitor subplot, and recent films have proven that a complicated plot, just makes people go see the film again
(matrix, memento, insomnia, mulholland drive)

as for the pilgrim thing being put in to "reduce star wars wannabe" claims, i was under the impression that roberts had wanted that in anyway? i dont believe it was added JUST to reduce the star wars rip off claims

With me it's not even so much that I don't *like* the movie....it's just, annoying. I felt the Pilgrim thing was totally unneccesary and made it feel quite un-Wing Commander. The related materials to the movie, namely Pilgrim Stars, just makes it worse. The mathematical powers of Pilgrims turns into, almost literally, the Force. Hell, they force-choked a Kilrathi crew! Reading that book I was full waiting for Obi-Wan to appear and say "Use the force, Chris".

and that would be a different class to the concordia class in wc4?

so theres a concordia class supercruiser and a concordia class carrier with about 30 years between?

The Concordia carrier is older -- it's the same class as the Concordia in Action Stations.

as for the pilgrim thing being put in to "reduce star wars wannabe" claims, i was under the impression that roberts had wanted that in anyway? i dont believe it was added JUST to reduce the star wars rip off claims

I don't think there's any truth to the claim that it was to "reduce Star Wars" whatever. The Pilgrim stuff serves a very clear purpose: it gives the main character the absolutely necessary background and conflict. Blair was simply the 'player charater', and had absolutely none of that in the games.

Personally, I don't see how it's "Star Wars"ish at all... the Pilgrim 'power' in the movie amounts to Blair being especially good at math.

Originally posted by Madman
as for the film, i felt that the entire pilgrim thing did make it more star wars wannabe, the original film idea would have worked better ie with the traitor subplot, and recent films have proven that a complicated plot, just makes people go see the film again
(matrix, memento, insomnia, mulholland drive)
The Matrix was about as complex as a square knot.
Originally posted by Ladiesman^
Hell, they force-choked a Kilrathi crew! Reading that book I was full waiting for Obi-Wan to appear and say "Use the force, Chris".
Boy, they sure don't come any more worn-out than that little gem right there. I thought it was lame the first time I heard it, but I just think you're lame the fiftieth time.

frosty, i know it seems strange to us, but some people...
didnt understand the matrix! those people who dont understand conspiracy theories :D

Originally posted by Frosty
Boy, they sure don't come any more worn-out than that little gem right there. I thought it was lame the first time I heard it, but I just think you're lame the fiftieth time.

Yeah....isn't it great?! I'm even lamer because i've said it before....I say it just about every thread here involving the movie....

Arlight, alright.....I was thinking the whole time that McDaniel would say "Chris, I am your father" (or maybe Paladin)....

Back